Duff Goldman’s SF Extreme Cake Was a Huge Hit at the Winter Fancy Food Show
By Kaye Cloutman, Photography by Denice Sy
Cake baking and decorating isn’t rocket science. You don’t have to color inside the lines or follow anyone else’s rules. It’s about your creativity — artful celebrations — having a great time with family and friends. This is why I love the newly launched Duff Goldman by Gartner Studios. It gives you the tools the pros use, and the inspiration you need to make an awesome cake. Now go have fun!
Last week, an over-the-top showcase cake depicting the city was created live by Charm City Cakes founder and star of Food Network’s Ace of Cakes, Duff Goldman, along with his co-starring bakery team from the hit show: Katie Rose, Elena Fox, and Anna Ellison.
The tiered, four-layer, four-foot high cake was a continuous work in progress at the Gartner Studios booth at the North Hall of the Moscone Center, starting the morning of January 16. This massive masterpiece was balanced on the nose of a California sea lion, with fanciful depictions of San Francisco landmarks encircling the tiers.
Throughout the show, Goldman did live demonstrations and autograph sessions at the Gartner Studios booth. He was fun, charming and truly engaging! His bakery team along with his other female staff were just absolute dolls!
The wonderful cake, which showcased San Francisco landmarks, was made with products from the Duff Goldman by Gartner Studios line of bakeware and cake decorating products — designed to allow everyday bakers to unleash their inner artist and easily create masterpiece cakes of their own at home. The product line was co-designed by Goldman to create a trend-forward, high-quality collection of products never before available outside of professional bakeries. Designed to make creative expression easy and fun, items are priced from $2.49 to $24.99 and include:
- Cake Graffiti (edible spray paint)
- Fondant (in a variety of flavored colors)
- Cake tattoos
- Texture Tiles
- Fondant Cutters and Smoothers
- Premium Cake Mixes
- Cake Wires
- Food Color Gels
- 15-piece Decorating Kit
- Icing Spatulas
- NEW: Flavored Sprinkles (12 flavors – sample tastings offered at show)
- Product Availability: Duff Goldman by Gartner Studios is available at Michaels stores nationwide, and select Party City, Walmart, and Market Street grocery stores, and at www.duff.com. For more product information or to place an order, Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-888-522-9722.
- About Duff Goldman: Duff formed Charm City Cakes in March of 2000. The bakery is headquartered in a 6,000 square foot cake compound in the Remington neighborhood of Baltimore. Charm City Cakes has grown to a staff of eleven friends who make cakes, listen to music, and eat a lot of sushi. For more information, visit www.charmcitycakes.com
- About Gartner Studios: Gartner Studios, Inc, headquartered in Stillwater, Minnesota, is a leader in the stationery, party goods and greeting card industry, offering more than 7,000 products through major retailers and specialty stores in North America. Best know for its expansive line of imprintable and customizable stationery products, the company designs, manufactures and distributes stationery and celebration assortments that inspire customers to celebrate and connect with loved ones – from wedding invitations to party favors to cake decorating supplies for every occasion. Gartner Studios, Inc. divisions include: Gartner Greetings, Mara-Mi; and russell+hazel. Premier brand licenses include: BRIDES; and the new Duff Goldman by Gartner Studios. For more information about the company and its products visit: www.gartnerstudios.com
Duff Goldman and Editor in Chief Kaye Cloutman
The whimsical extreme cupcake was too cute to eat
Vandalism just got yummier! Duff’s graffiti cake spray
The assorted cake sprinkles, cake mix and fondants on display
The colorful and delish cake pops
The Winter Fancy Food crowd loved Duff Goldman