New Winter Menu at Clift’s Velvet Room
In the spirit of the holidays, and the rapidly changing weather, Chef Thomas Weibull proudly introduces the new season menu at CLIFT’s Velvet Room which will warm both diner’s hearts and bellies. New to their menu are the Curried Cauliflower ($15) starter served with caper berries, golden raisins and toasted pine nut crisp, the Stuffed Quail ($15) starter with butternut squash, Brussels, black trumpet mushrooms and candied pumpkin seeds, Home Made Chestnut Agnolotti ($26) with butternut squash and shaved truffles as well as a Winter Truffle Petite Poulet ($27) with a fall medley ragout.
The restaurant at the Velvet Room was designed to complement the legendary Redwood Room and features a considered California inspired menu. Executive Chef Thomas Weibull partners with local farmers and growers to produce seasonal menu items for Velvet Room made in an organic and sustainable fashion.
Stuffed Quail, Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, Candied Pumpkin Seeds, Black Trumpets
- 4 ea Quails
- 1 cup Skinned, Cleaned and Cubed Butternut Squash
- ½ cup Cleaned Black Trumpets
- 1 cup Blanched Brussels Sprout Leaves
- 1 cup Brioche Cubed
- 1 Shallots Bruniose
- ½ bunch chopped Sage
- 1 clove Garlic Chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup Honey
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- ¼ cup Candied Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- In a sauté pan over medium heat add 2 tablespoon butter and wait until it begins to foam then add the cubed Butternut Squash and sweat until tender after add shallots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Then add cubed Brioche, ½ cup chicken stock, sage and mix then season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature before stuffing.
- Mix Honey and Soy sauce and remaining chicken stock and slowly reduce until it becomes slightly thicken.
- Lay the quail, skin side down, on a work surface. Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and shape into balls. Place a ball in the center of each quail and bring the sides of the birds together to overlap.
- Place the quail, breast side up, in lightly buttered baking pan and bake for 15 minutes then glaze with Soy -honey mixture for another minutes, or until crispy and brown.
- Sautee Black Trumpets with butter then add blanched Brussels Sprout Leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Mound the mushroom and Brussels sprouts in the center of 4 plates. Arrange the quail on top of vegetables sprinkle candied Pumpkin Seeds then drizzle soy honey glaze around the plate
- To make candied pumpkin seeds mix ½ cup water and ½ cup sugar in a pot and make a simple syrup. Add the pumpkin seeds to simple syrup then strain seeds after 5 min then fry them lightly in oil and then place on a paper towel