Bocanova in Jack London Square Launches “Vinoterica” Wine Club
Photography by Kanoa Utler
Bocanova restaurant in Jack London Square recently launched an exciting new monthly wine club, Vinoterica, offering members expertly curated selections of unique and hard to find wines from all over the world. Each month, wine club manager David Fetcho (who consulted on the creation of Bocanova’s wine program) shares his selections of rare and “off-the-beaten-path” wines chosen for their exceptional character, structure, and value. Like Bocanova’s award-winning wine list, Vinoterica offers an enticing mix of lesser-known varietals such as Negrette from the southwest of France, Alfrocheiro from Portugal, and Tannat from South America, but also includes outstanding examples of more well understood varietals like Tempranillo, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Noir.
The concept behind Vinoterica – an invented contraction of the words “vino” and “esoteric”- evolved while Fetcho and Bocanova’s Chef/Owner Rick Hackett were working together to design the restaurant’s original wine list. “We wanted to give our patrons the chance to experience the many wonderful wines that exist in the world that are simply not available in local wine shops because they are thought to be too esoteric to sell,” says Fetcho. “With the Vinoterica Wine Club, we want to make longstanding wine friends. I want to earn the trust of our members that the wines I select will be not just good wines, but will be a surprising delight every month.”
The Vinoterica wine club offers incomparable value priced wines at just $35, for which members will receive the following, with no sign up or cancellation fees:
- 2 – 3 bottles of wine per month, a mix of white and red – which must be picked up at the restaurant
- 50% off select wines from the Bocanova list whenever dining in the restaurant
- Members can purchase any wine on the Bocanova list at the special Vinoterica club price for home consumption. The club prices are below retail, and generally less than 50% off of the restaurant price per bottle
- Members will receive a monthly newsletter via email with descriptions of, and tasting notes on, the current Vinoterica selections and exclusive members-only events and offerings
- Several Special Selection wines (not in the standard club package) will be available for Vinoterica members to purchase each month, and members will be notified of these selections in the e-newsletter
- There is no limit to the amount of bottles club members can purchase at the Vinoterica discounted rate
- Members receive 20% off of Rick’s Supper Club monthly dinner
Each month Bocanova offers tasting flights of the two Club Selection wines, plus one of the Special Selection wines, at lunch and dinner. For $10, diners can sample three 2-ounce pours (the equivalent of a full glass) of these delicious wines to get acquainted with the great price/quality ratio that Vinoterica offers. Bocanova also hosts a quarterly food and wine party, open to all guests (including non-Vinoterica members), showcasing a select flight of wines from the club’s monthly offerings, paired with a special menu designed by Rick Hackett. Here members and non-members may purchase Vinoterica wines at special prices.
For more information on the Vinoterica wine club please contact Bocanova at: 510.444.1233