Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Announces The 19th Annual Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival
Ghirardelli Chocolate Company, San Francisco’s premier chocolate manufacturer, is excited to announce the 19th Annual Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival on Saturday, September 13 and Sunday, September 14 from 12 – 5 p.m. at San Francisco’s historic Ghirardelli Square. Projected to be the biggest Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival to date, this two-day celebration – perfect for chocolate lovers, foodies and festival-goers – will feature unique samples by some of the finest local dessert companies, chef demonstrations from chocolatiers, ice-cream sundae eating contests and of course, Ghirardelli Chocolate! 100% of profits from the festival benefit Project Open Hand and their efforts to serve “meals with love” to people with HIV/AIDS, the homebound critically ill and seniors. For more information, visit www.ghirardelli.com/chocolatefestival.
– Photo Images courtesy of Ghirardelli Chocolate Company
“Last year’s profits contributed $90K for Project Open Hand,” says Martin Thompson, Ghirardelli president and CEO. “The festival is not only a fun-filled event for chocolate lovers and foodies, but an important event that raises funds for Project Open Hand. We are very proud to host this event every year.”
With general Chocolate Tasting Tickets, guests will indulge in delicacies ranging from chocolate crepes and cupcakes, to Ghirardelli’s World Famous Hot Fudge Sundaes. General Tasting Tickets are $20 for 15 tastes when purchased in advance or $25 at the door. Ghirardelli Chocolate and Wine Pavilion Tasting Tickets offer guests an additional 12 tastings in the Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion and a souvenir wine glass. These tickets are $40 in advance or $50 at the door. Guests must be 21+ years old to take part in the Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion tastings. Several general events will be available at no charge. Tasting tickets for the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival are available for purchase now online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/19th-annual-ghirardelli-chocolate-festival-tickets-10729202333.
Ghirardelli is holding a contest on Instagram so that guests may enter to win a pair of tickets to the 19th Annual Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival. To enter the contest, visit any Ghirardelli Ice Cream and Chocolate Shop prior to the event and post a photo with a Ghirardelli sundae to Instagram along with the tag #SelfieSundae. Every photo taken with a sundae counts as an entry, so try all 15 specialty sundaes! Ten winners will be chosen at random on Monday, September 8, 2014. A complete list of the Ghirardelli Ice Cream and Chocolate Shop locations can be found at http://www.ghirardelli.com/locations-events/ghirardelli-locations.
– Photo Images courtesy of Ghirardelli Chocolate Company —
- Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion: Come sip and savor premium samples from local wineries and gourmet dessert vendors in the heart of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival. This new and exclusive area of the event will require an additional “Pavilion” ticket good for 12 gourmet tastings, so unwind, relax, and try something new! Only open for Festival guests with Pavilion tickets 21 years and older.
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Earthquake Ice Cream Eating Contest: A Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival Tradition! Festival attendees compete or just witness the hilarity as five lucky people eat the famous Ghirardelli “Earthquake” Sundae as fast as they can without hands. Battling each other and their own stomachs, competitors are sure to make this experience a memorable (and delicious) one. Children also compete with a smaller version of the famous Earthquake Sundae. There are three competitions on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Chocolate School- “From Cocoa Bean to Chocolate Bar”: Come join Ghirardelli’s own “Chocolate Professor”, Steve Genzoli, as he teaches “Chocolate School” and takes audience members through a tour of the delicious chocolate making process. Learn every step a bean takes to become that mouth watering chocolate bar from Ghirardelli’s own Chocolate Professor.
- Wente Vineyards Culinary Stage: Local culinary professionals work their delicious magic on both Saturday and Sunday at the Wente Vineyards Culinary Stage at the Festival. Be engaged in all things chocolate and learn the inside scoop on many delectable delights. Learning has never tasted so good!
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival Silent Auction to benefit Project Open Hand: First developed in 2012, the auction proved to be a success with the Festival guest and raised additional funds for Project Open Hand. In 2014 our goal is to double the quantity of premium offerings from restaurants, hotels, the travel industry and vendors.
- Samples from 50+ vendors: Decadent chocolate and wine tastings from Ghirardelli Hot Fudge Sundaes to chocolate cupcakes and everything in between!
The 19th Annual Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival would not be possible without the support from many generous sponsors: Ghirardelli Chocolate Company, Red & White Fleet, UPS, Macy’s, SFMTA, Numi Organic Tea, SF Media Co., Negra Modelo, Torani, Wente Vineyards, and Ghirardelli Square.
To participate in this annual community event, visit Ghirardelli.com/ChocolateFestival. Giving back has never been so sweet!
ABOUT THE GHIRARDELLI CHOCOLATE COMPANY
The Ghirardelli Chocolate Company is a manufacturer and marketer of premium chocolate products. Incorporated in 1852, Ghirardelli has an incredibly rich American history. As the country’s longest continuously operating chocolate manufacturer, Ghirardelli has established its position as America’s Premium Chocolate Company.
Ghirardelli’s product line includes its signature SQUARES™ chocolate, Intense Dark™ chocolate, Gourmet Milk™ chocolate, Ghirardelli Chocolate Bars, other chocolate confections, baking chocolate and beverages. These items are sold through select specialty stores, grocery stores, drug stores, mass merchandisers and department stores. In addition, Ghirardelli sells a line of premium chocolate, syrups and drinks for the Food Service channel. Ghirardelli currently owns and operates 18 retail stores in seven states, including the original Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop located in San Francisco’s historic Ghirardelli Square. For more information about Ghirardelli, visit http://ghirardelli.com.
ABOUT PROJECT OPEN HAND
Every day, Project Open hand prepares 2,500 nutritious meals and provides 400 bags of healthy groceries to help sustain those in the community battling serious illnesses, isolation, or the health challenges of old age. For more information on the services Project Open Hand provides, visit http://www.openhand.org.