BITE SILICON VALLEY, The Nation’s First Ever Festival Exploring The Intersection of Food & Tech June5-7, 2015
Octagon Culinary announces BITE Silicon Valley, the first-ever event to celebrate and explore the intersection of food and technology, featuring some of the nation’s top celebrity chefs and tech innovators. The inaugural, three-day event combines conference and food & wine festival elements June 5-7, 2015 at Levi’s® Stadium in Santa Clara, CA.
BITE Silicon Valley will be hosted by internationally-recognized culinary innovator, James Beard Award winner for Outstanding Chef and one of TIME magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in 2012, Chef José Andrés, who will serve as Chef Chair. “Food is our most important resource, and touches every aspect of our lives – from culture and science, to national defense!” said Andrés. “Chefs need to play a bigger role in the world’s food issues and learn how to harness technology, whether new or age-old, in this mission. I’m honored to host the inaugural BITE Silicon Valley, and to help create an event that drives these conversations to effect real change through the intersection of food and innovation.”
“We’re bringing together the most progressive celebrity chefs, respected thought leaders, innovative brands and savvy consumers to discuss the future of food,” Octagon Culinary Vice President Caryl Chinn said. “Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area are truly the epicenters of innovation, so it makes perfect sense to hold BITE Silicon Valley there.”
BITE Silicon Valley will feature:
- Conference – BITE Silicon Valley’s will bring together tech, culinary, business and academic leaders to discuss some of the world’s most pressing food issues.
- Keynote addresses will be given by Chef José Andrés and Josh Tetrick, CEO of Hampton Creek.
- The Renewed Debate Around GMOs led by Chef and Vintner Michael Chiarello and Dr. Robert Fraley, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Monsanto
- The Challenge of Food Waste led by Robert Egger, Founder of L.A. Kitchen and DC Central Kitchen and Maisie Ganzler, Vice President of Strategy, Bon Appétit Management
- What Are You Doing to Enable the Planet to Feed 9 Billion People? led by Michael Bakker, Director of Global Food Program, Google and Danielle Nierenberg, Barilla Center for Food & Nutrition
- The Story of Loco’l – Bringing Restaurants to Food Deserts led by Roy Choi, Chef, Food Truck Pioneer, Co-Creator of Loco’l
- Grand Tasting – The Grand Tasting, held Saturday June 6 and Sunday June 7, will feature world-class chefs and beverage experts from across the U.S. serving up tastes of their signature dishes. Participating brands will showcase their newest products and demonstrate the latest innovative technologies and apps.
- Cooking Demonstrations – BITE Silicon Valley’s roster of celebrity chefs will share their latest tricks and techniques, giving guests a taste of how technology is changing everything from the home chef experience to how the world feeds itself.
- Interactive Workshops – Foodies embrace technology as a way to share their passion for food – blogging and posting every bite, photographing every meal, and creating virtual dining experiences for fellow food lovers all over the world. BITE Silicon Valley’s tech experts will lead workshops on creating, sharing and curating foodie-quality content.
BITE Silicon Valley is pleased to support two outstanding organizations: Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties which is the trusted leader dedicated to ending local hunger, and the 49ers Foundation whose mission is to ‘Keep Kids Safe, on Track and in School.’
Additional celebrity chefs, conference elements and participating brands will be announced shortly. To purchase tickets and for more information, please visit www.BITESV.com; for updates, follow them at @BiteSV on Twitter and Instagram.
About Octagon Culinary:
Octagon Culinary leverages the agency’s recipe for passion-based marketing and in-house culinary industry expertise to create and activate unique culinary events that engage foodies everywhere. Octagon Culinary develops and manages numerous events including BITE Silicon Valley, The Northwest Arkansas Food Festival and Tyson Celebrity Chef Night and enhances Octagon’s corporate sponsorship and event programming by incorporating food-based experiences, celebrity chefs and more to help our client brands connect with consumers. Octagon’s global Events and Hospitality team specializes in integrated event management, first-class hospitality, and engaged promotions. Octagon, (NYSE: IPG) is the world’s largest sponsorship consulting practice, managing and influencing $3 billion in sponsorship-related spending annually with more than 800 employees. To learn more about Octagon, visit www.octagon.com or follow @Octagon.
About the Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties
Each month, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties feeds enough people to fill up Levi’s® Stadium three times. Second Harvest provides the equivalent of 1 million meals, every week of the year. Though our network of more than 330 community-based partner agencies, Second Harvest distributes healthy food to our neighbors in need: More than 90% of the food we distribute is highly nutritious, and over half is fresh produce.
About the 49ers Foundation
The San Francisco 49ers Foundation is the non-profit community funding extension of the San Francisco 49ers. Now in its 23rd year, the 49ers Foundation supports development programs for underserved youth that keep them “Safe, On Track, and In School.” Since 1992, the Foundation has donated $30.6 million to support non-profits, contributing $4.6 million in 2014, including a $1 million grant to launch the 49ers STEM Leadership Institute at Cabrillo Middle School.